About Me

My photo

From Newspaper Boy through Engineering to Recruiter, with several stops on the journey to today! John Rose CPC [also known as Resourcefuljohn] has over many years embraced change, developed new skills and shared them with the passion and belief that ‘the world is not flat’ and ‘you can teach old dogs new tricks’. John Rose CPC is an exponent for everyone to apply 'Best Practices' and the effective and beneficial utilization of Social Media to connect, communicate and collaborate with people and businesses.   Even with the advancements in technology, John Rose CPC strongly believes "people make businesses succeed".  John's passion is about people and business people re-engineering. John does train others and talk about recruiters | recruitment | careers | job search | social media as a tool. Being an early adopter of new tools and process in the recruitment and careers market, John Rose CPC  believes in learning through communication and collaboration. Presently on the Board of Advisers to AIESEC LAURIER - a graduate student led business that facilitates international student internships.

Monday, January 30, 2012

Are You Prepared for Connecting and Networking?


Job Seeker and Business Developer (Sales Person to the un-initiated!) are in the same boat when it comes to preparing for a networking event.  Preparation is key, so can you answer the following questions - confidently and concisely?

Who are YOU?

What do YOU have to offer?

Why should they consider YOU above others?

How will YOU help relieve their PAIN?

Simple instructions for you to follow, that may just help make the event positive: 

1.     Figure out which companies, career paths, and specific positions would be a good fit for you. When you network for a job, you should be able to go to your contacts with a clear picture of your strengths and goals.

2.     Call your networking contact and set up a time to meet. Give your contact a quick summary of your background, the kind of job you are looking for, and what you can offer your networking contact.

3.     Be flexible in your scheduling. Try to work around your networking contact's schedule.

4.     Remember that networking is not the same as a job interview. Ask your networking contact for information and advice, not an interview with your contact's company.

5.     Ask your networking contact for referrals to other professionals who might be useful in your job search.

6.     Before a networking phone call or meeting, write down your questions.

7.     Bring a copy of your resume to any networking meetings and ask your contact for suggestions to improve it.

8.     Follow up all networking calls or meetings with a written thank-you letter.


9. Start at #1 above


Preparation is 80% of the battle, the remaining 20% is perspiration.  Go enjoy connecting and networking