Monday, April 26, 2010

Not a good reason for NOT embracing Social Media...

Guess I need to re-think my objection handling techniques...During the training session, to a group who wanted to learn how to embrace Social Media in their job search, several tried to find any reason NOT to embrace social media.

"What about my privacy - I don't want people finding me and stealing my identity!" The individual was of a generation were communication was conducted in person, via a phone or by writing a letter (by hand and using a postal system) and 'trust' was a value practiced by the majority of people and companies.

Identity theft is very important and you must take every precaution to protect yourself. However, to use this an excuse for not using social media in a job search, the individual missed the 'principle approach' to using social media as a tool.

3-Step thought process I introduced:
  • Develop: A separate 'personal' and 'professional' presence, use a consistent 'brand' name and write a 'bio' in the 3rd person that sells 'YOU'
  • Establish: Credibility and reputation by interacting, communicating and updating regularly
  • Monitor: On-Line Reputation by establish a regular routine for monitoring, reviewing and challenging (as appropriate)
Developing and deploying a professional on-line presence need never compromise ones privacy, by taking basic and simple steps you can promote YOU and attract quality and appropriate attention.

Now, I have to go and practice my objection techniques...